Friday, May 17, 2013

The English We Speak

A white elephant

Listen

Finn tells Feifei that he is worried about what he's going to do with the white elephant his uncle is giving him. Is he going to have a new pet? Find out more with The English We Speak.
A Namibian elephant, BBC image
Does Finn have space to look after an elephant?

The script for this programme

(Finn and Feifei on a visit to the zoo)

Feifei: Hi. I'm Feifei and joining us here today in the zoo to present The English We Speak is Finn.

Finn: Hi.

Feifei: What's the matter, Finn? You sound worried. The zoo is a place of fun.

Finn: Yes, and I love animals too. But I don't know what I'm going to do with that white elephant.

Feifei: That one over there?

Finn: No. The one my uncle is giving me.

Feifei: Your uncle is giving you an elephant?

Finn: Yeah, he is moving to South Africa and he's giving away some of his things.

Feifei: And are you ready to take care of an elephant?

Finn: That's the problem. I'm not. It is beautiful...

Feifei: Oh yes, I'm sure it is!

Finn: ...and it is powerful...

Feifei: Yes, very powerful!

Finn: But it needs too much petrol!

Feifei: Petrol?!

Finn: Yes. Old sports cars need a lot of petrol, you know.

Feifei: That's a relief. You're talking about a car.

Finn: Of course! I wasn't talking about an actual elephant.

Feifei: The elephant sounds relieved too.

Finn: Yes, he does. In English, when you call something a 'white elephant' you mean that it's large, costs a lot of money to keep and has no useful purpose.
Feifei: A sports car is useful.

Finn: Not for me. I am a cyclist and I love my bicycle. Listen to some examples of how to use this expression.
  • I've paid a lot of money for this posh designer dress that I never use. It is a white elephant!
  • The new airport is a white elephant! It's got four runways and it's equipped with the latest technology, but not many people visit this region.
Feifei: Oh. So a 'white elephant' is something that might look good but in reality it's a waste of space.

Finn: Yes, it is.

Feifei: Unlike these elephants we have here in the zoo. They seem to be very popular.

Finn: Shall we go and have a look, Feifei?

Feifei: Indeed and they're grey, not white!

Finn: Bye.

Feifei: Bye.

from BBC Learning English

Followers

About

Welcome to English at LERNFORUM Chur.  We teach English one to one or in small, personalised groups at every level and for every English language need. Cambridge and Swiss qualified, we're mother-language speaking, and most importantly, have a passion for helping you speak English.

Word of the Month

Holy

(adj): Sacred, divine, blessed.


Holiday: a holy or festive day; a day off, vacation (also sacred)


Expressions: Holy Cow! Literally true in India.

Ex: Holly Mackerel! Delicious, healthy and full of mercury.

Powered by Blogger.
Copyright © English at Lernforum Chur