Monday, March 7, 2016

Polite Ways to Say “No”



One way to accidentally offend someone is by being too direct when saying “no.”  In English we decline requests, offers, and invitations in a certain way, and that simply saying “no” or “no thanks” isn’t always acceptable.



We often do three things when we politely say “no” in English:
1. Make a statement of regret (I’m sorry…, I’d really like to, but…I appreciate the offer, but…, etc.)
2. Explain why the answer is “no.”  (I’m really busy right now, We aren’t available that weekend, etc.)
3. Offer an alternative, if possible.  (I might be able to do it next week, John might be able to help you with that, etc.)
Here are some examples of expressions we use to say “no.”  Below are some examples:
Polite ways to say “no” to a request:
I’d love to help you, but right now I’m really busy with….
I wish I could, but right now I need to focus on….
Normally I’d be able to, but right now I have to….

Polite ways to say “no” to an offer, such as a client project you do not want to accept:

I appreciate the offer, but…
That would be great, but I’m already working on….
Thank you for the offer, but my schedule is full at the moment.
Polite ways to say “no” to invitations to social events:

That sounds great, but….
I’m sorry I can’t that night. I have to….
I really appreciate the invite, but…

Followers

About

Welcome to English at LERNFORUM Chur.  We teach English one to one or in small, personalised groups at every level and for every English language need. Cambridge and Swiss qualified, we're mother-language speaking, and most importantly, have a passion for helping you speak English.

Word of the Month

Holy

(adj): Sacred, divine, blessed.


Holiday: a holy or festive day; a day off, vacation (also sacred)


Expressions: Holy Cow! Literally true in India.

Ex: Holly Mackerel! Delicious, healthy and full of mercury.

Powered by Blogger.
Copyright © English at Lernforum Chur