Saturday, August 31, 2013

Conditions: if or ___?


                                          GRAMMAR NOTE
 
Other words or phrases can be used in place of ‚if‘. 
I won’t do anything unless you help me.  (=if you do not help me)
I’ll leave some money here in case you need it.(=because you may need it)
I’ll lend you the money provided that you pay me back in a week)
I won’t go even if you beg me. (=it doesn’t matter if you beg me)
 


in case  or   if ?
 

1 My neighbors have gotten a watch dog.  _______ someone tries to break in they

 will have a big surprise.

2 I brought extra money_________the tickets for the show cost more than I expect.

3 The workers posted a ‚wet paint‘ sign on the doorway________someone doesn’t realize the paint is still wet.

4 ____ I get the new job I will move to Berne.


Unless  or  provided that ?

 
5 You can borrow my notes __________ you return them this afternoon.

6 She will not pass the exam_______she studies hard.

7 We will be late_______ we hurry.
 
8 __________it doesn’t rain, we will go for a walk.


Even if  or  in case ?


9 The concert starts at 8 pm.  It is 7:55 pm.    ______ we hurry, we will miss the beginning.

10 I’ll probably go home over the weekend.  But _________I don’t  would you like to

go to the museum with me?

11 I will clean my apartment ________ I have friends over this weekend.

12 I have alot of homework._______I work all evening on my homework I will not be finished.
 
Good Luck!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 
KEY
1 if
2 in case
3 in case
4 if
5 provided that
6 unnless
7 unless
8 if
9 Even if
10 in case/if
11 in case
12 Even if
 

 

Followers

About

Welcome to English at LERNFORUM Chur.  We teach English one to one or in small, personalised groups at every level and for every English language need. Cambridge and Swiss qualified, we're mother-language speaking, and most importantly, have a passion for helping you speak English.

Word of the Month

Holy

(adj): Sacred, divine, blessed.


Holiday: a holy or festive day; a day off, vacation (also sacred)


Expressions: Holy Cow! Literally true in India.

Ex: Holly Mackerel! Delicious, healthy and full of mercury.

Powered by Blogger.
Copyright © English at Lernforum Chur