Friday, May 24, 2013

Use of English - Sentence Transformations

Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence, using the word given. Do not change the word given. You must use between two and five words, including the word given.




1. It took her a long time to recover from her illness.




over



It took her a long time ______________________ her illness.





2.  I regret saying that to him.
 

wish

________________________that to him. 




3. I’m sure that wasn’t Tony we saw. He’s in London.
 





can’t



It ____________________Tony we saw. He’s in London.

              

4. It is important that I post this letter tonight.


need


I ____________________ this letter tonight.

5. I’m sure the children have been doing something terrible while we’ve been out.


up
 

I’m sure the children ________________ something terrible while we’ve been out.

6. The mechanic checked the tyres on my car.


had
 
I ___________________ on my car.

7. I think you should go to bed now.


time


It’s _________________ to bed.



8. It was difficult for me to read the number plate in the fog.


make


I couldn’t _______________ the number plate in the fog.



9. Please don’t tell Andrew about our conversation.

rather


I’d __________________ Andrew about our conversation.


10. Unless you start studying now, it’s possible that you will fail the exam.



could


You _______________you start studying now.

Answers


1. to get over
2. I wish I hadn't said
3. can't have been
4. need to post
5. have been up to
6. had the tyres checked
7. time you went
8. make out
9. rather you didn't tell
10.could fail the exam unless

Followers

About

Welcome to English at LERNFORUM Chur.  We teach English one to one or in small, personalised groups at every level and for every English language need. Cambridge and Swiss qualified, we're mother-language speaking, and most importantly, have a passion for helping you speak English.

Word of the Month

Holy

(adj): Sacred, divine, blessed.


Holiday: a holy or festive day; a day off, vacation (also sacred)


Expressions: Holy Cow! Literally true in India.

Ex: Holly Mackerel! Delicious, healthy and full of mercury.

Powered by Blogger.
Copyright © English at Lernforum Chur